Refugee Support Case Worker
Birmingham, West Midlands (with travel to visit service users)
Are you an empathetic individual with experience of support work? Looking for a challenging, yet highly-rewarding role where you can change lives on a daily basis?
If so, this is an incredible opportunity to empower people to overcome challenges and build better futures as a Refugee Support Case Worker.
ACH (Ashley Community Housing) is a social enterprise that provides a range of integration and support services for refugees.
During the past ten years, we’ve grown from a small-scale housing organisation to a leading provider of integration, employment and housing services for refugees and newly arrived communities in the UK.
Our #rethinkingrefugee work challenges stereotypes and establishes individuals with more resilience into the places where they live, supporting people to become part of an inclusive city.
We’re now looking for a Refugee Support Case Worker to join us on a contract that has the potential to become a permanent position.
- Salary of £18,000 per annum
- Travel expenses
- 20 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
Our vision is for all refugees coming to the UK to be successfully integrated into our society with adequate accommodation, resettlement jobs and education programs. You can help us make this happen.
We don’t focus on the story of how refugees came to be here – we focus on where they want to be. In this exciting role, you’ll have the chance to make a huge difference to people’s lives and help them to succeed.
We see refugees as people with talents, skills, and aspirations who are assets which will boost our economy and enrich our communities. If you want to help combat stereotypes and support individuals with a great deal of potential, we’d love to hear from you.
As a Refugee Support Case Worker, you’ll provide high-quality advice, guidance and outreach support to refugees, helping them to settle and build a successful life in the UK.
Working as part of our Support and Integration Team, you will:
- Take a person-centred and culturally sensitive approach to each individual you help
- Complete needs and risk assessments for people referred to our service
- Give advice and support on a range of issues including housing, finances, education, employment, health and immigration
- Use your initiative and collaborate with others to overcome any challenges, such as communication barriers
To join us as a Refugee Support Case Worker, you will need:
- At least one year’s experience of working with people with support needs
- An understanding of the welfare benefits system
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- A degree level qualification
- To be passionate about diversity and equality
- Plenty of initiative and great problem-solving skills
- The ability to communicate with others in sometimes difficult circumstances
Knowledge of legislation relating to immigration would be beneficial, as would an understanding of local networks, including specialist agencies providing services for refugees. Fluency in a language, in addition to English, would be an advantage. Individuals with lived experience of being a refugee are also encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.